Thursday, July 11, 2013

food stress

I'm a fluffy girl. Always have been, probably always will be. Currently, I'm right around 80lbs over weight... that's a medium sized child if you're keeping track.

I've never had a healthy relationship with food. I often eat my feelings, using food as a coping method for my stressors and depression. Even as a 27 year old, married for more than 8 years, woman, I still feel defensive about my eating habits around my parents and grandparents who are products of the depression-era "you must clean your plate; children are starving some where in the world" mentality.

I also feel pressures to "try" everything on the table even if I know it's not something I like. I can remember, as a child, being forced to eat my green beans and I REALLY hate green beans. There were times I ate them, very last, just so I could finally leave the table. I would head directly to the bathroom and stick my finger down my throat.

Fast forward to having children of my own. I find myself, like many, parenting to compensate for what I perceive to be my parents' missteps (whether real or imagined).
I spend a lot of time trying NOT to transfer food related anxiety to my monsters.

As we've been altering our lifestyle, and especially our eating habits, for the better, I again feel defensive of my choices. Is it really so hard to understand that we don't want our children ingesting countless chemicals, GMO's, and pesticides?? I don't think so, but some do.

I guess what it comes down to is, if I believe I'm doing the best for my family, does it really matter what anyone else think?

What things cause you stress and defensive behaviors??

**Disclaimer: Anonymous comments will not be published. I'd love to hear from YOU not "Anonymous" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment