Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Let's be real...

Let's be real, honest, and open.

Currently, there is a huge stigma associated with mental health issues. Because of the stigma associated with mental health disease and disorder, people like me do not seek support or treatment which exacerbates any issues. I have pretended to be fine and masked my symptoms for a long time but will no longer do so. I am choosing to be open and honest about my struggles in the hopes that it helps someone else in the future.
Many have never suffered from depression, anxiety, or self image issues and do not understand those that do. Mental health disorders can be inherited, environmentally induced, or a combination of both.

I have a borderline personality disorder. I am also currently suffering from postpartum depression.

What does this mean?

Borderline personality disorder is also know as emotional regulation disorder. Symptoms of BPD can include depression, anxiety, anger issues, impulsively, mood swings, emotional instability, abandonment issues, feelings of inadequacy and is identical to PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) in causes, symptoms, and treatment. BPD is most commonly environmentally induced during childhood by abuse or situations of heavy fighting and conflict. Approximately 2% of adults live with BPD.

Postpartum depression is caused by the hormonal and chemical imbalances after giving birth. It is characterised by sadness, irritability, excessive guilty, extreme fatigue, inability or lack of desire to care for one's child or self.

I have been living with BPD for many years now.  It means that every day I have to wake up and make a conscience effort to function.  After our conversation, I will analyze it repeatedly in my head to see what I should have said differently and if I made a complete fool of myself. Until recently, my symptoms were very well controlled and I was feeling great the majority of the time. I worked hard to get to a place where my mood swings and anger issues were in check. I was in a very good place in my life. Then I got pregnant.

My pregnancy was far from easy; in fact, I HATE being pregnant.

Let me be very clear: I love my beautiful baby boy more than life itself and would do anything for him. He and his father are my world and I would be lost without them. But, I am suffering.

One of the hardest things for me is that I have this gorgeous happy little person who glows and giggles every time he sees my face and yet I feel an emptiness inside. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being a mom, but it is very hard... the hardest thing I've ever done. Sometimes I put him in his jumper-roo (which is the best invention ever) and lay on the couch staring at him because I just need a moment.
Everyone tells me that I am a great mom and seem to be totally in my element and yet I feel completely inadequate. I often feel sorry that this amazing little spirit ended up stuck with me.

I imagine the sleep deprivation that sets in the moment your new bundle of joy enters the world is a leading cause of PPD and yet I feel guilty for not getting up when he wakes in the night and for taking a nap with him because my "to-do" list isn't getting any shorter.

When I'm home with him, I don't get much done because I feel like I need to make up for the four days I just worked. So we sing and play and I rarely leave his side. When I'm at work, I stress and worry about the care he is getting. Even though I know he is in good hands, they are not mine.

All of my short comings have become magnified and I worry constantly about the future and things I have no control over. On the outside, I appear to have it all together and look the part of the happy working mom who has figured out how to juggle it all. But on the inside, I'm a category 5 hurricane about to make land fall and everyone who knows what's good for them has already taken cover. I'm angry, irritable, and on the brink of tears. My poor sweet husband has taken more than his fair share of bulldozings and beratings.

So what happens now?
Well, the first step is admission. I've done that. Next comes therapy. We'll try that for awhile.
If therapy alone is unsuccessful, I may need anti-depressants and mood stabilizers. Not ideal, but maybe necessary. With treatment, I can be that happy, balance, and peaceful girl I used to be.

Bottom line: Don't ignore your issues or that of those around you. Speak up; get help. Don't judge and be supportive.
I laid it all out on the line. I'll be better for it. What's your issue?

1 comment:

  1. I suffered from PPD temporarily after Asher was born and it was easily the worst thing to go through. Feelings of guilt and self hate for having feelings I had no control over. It's hard, but it did go away and hopefully yours will too. I agree that sleep was the best medicine. Once Asher started sleeping through the night and I was diligent about going to bed early so I could get a full 8 hours I started to feel a lot better. I am not a newborn person. The older he gets the happier I am, the easier mommyhood seems to be. With the suprise of a 2nd pregnancy I cried A LOT. All the feelings of inadequacy came back and I had actual fear. I was open with my Dr. and that really helped. Talking to someone that sees it on a daily basis made a big difference. I felt too guilty to really talk to anyone else about it. She set a time line for me to try to work through my feelings before we tried meds and she was almost exactly on target. By that set appointment most of the fear, depression and overwhelmed feelings had subsided. Don't get me wrong I often have days where they creep back but it's not my constant state of mind. I can be excited about this pregnancy now and in being honest with more people I know I will have help when I need it.

    I am doing what little I can to prepare myself for the PPD to come back after this new baby is born by making decisions now that are getting me a fair amount of judgment (like not breastfeeding) but I know what's right for me. What's right for my mental health and for the overall happiness of my family. And although I have met judgment with my decisions I have been met with a lot of support, especially those that saw me suffering.

    So I guess if I can give any advice it's to continue doing what you're doing. Stand up and fight against it by being honest, open and seeking help. Talking to someone makes all the difference. More people suffer from forms of depression these days than we realize because they suffer in silence so I think you will find more support than judgment. Real friends also see more than we think so when the door is opened for us we are eager to help.

    You taking this first step shows that you are stronger than you think you are. I have complete confidence that you will come up shining on the other side. Remember that you do have good friends that love you and are ready to help in any way needed. And even if that sometimes means us just shutting up and letting you deal. So with that I will stop this lengthy reply ;)! Just know you're loved and admired!

    ReplyDelete